Pollan goes on to say “That, more or less, is the short answer to the supposedly incredibly complicated and confusing question of what we humans should eat in order to be maximally healthy.”
The Office of Sustainability agrees with Mr. Pollan’s ideas and reminds NMSU Aggies that to be sustainable we must be healthy ourselves so we are using resources wisely and taking care of our ecological and agricultural planet so that it can continue to take care of us.
The manager of the Office of Sustainability is a Naturopathic Doctor so the topic of food and health is a very important one to her personally. Feel free to set up a time to discuss and educate yourself or your department about what you can do as a Green Aggie to participate.
Here are a few of the things that could help change your thinking or encourage your already healthful thinking:
Some questions to ask yourself at the grocery:
- “Where was this food grown?”
- “How far did it travel to get to me?”
- “When was this food grown?
- “How many ingredients does it have?”
- “Is the company that grew, harvested, and transported this food a socially responsible company (i.e., do they treat their farmers well, provide health insurance, and pay them a fair wage)?”
Good Food Ideas
- Eat organic if possible (pesticides are not good for our bodies)
- Eat local (food that has traveled long distances increase our greenhouse gasses in the transportation and they are not picked at an ideal time in their ripeness)
- Shop at the Farmer’s Market
- Grow your own (our local coop Mountain View Market has classes in gardening)
- Eat seasonal
- Eat less meat and more vegetables and fruit
- Olive oil – yummy for your tummy!
Ever wonder… “Is there an animal product in that dish?” Wonder no more! Sodexo’s Wild Mushroom food station is in the Taos Café and they serve delicious healthy protein-rich vegetarian food. Typical ingredients used are soy and almond milk, nut butters, quinoa, beans, lentils, tomatoes, and yes, tofu. Many of the dishes served are vegan as well, such as the vegan French toast and the zucchini pasta.